17 July 2017:
In response to engagement with key stakeholders in the food service industry, a free online training course has been launched by the National Allergy Strategy, a partnership between Australia’s peak allergy bodies, the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) and Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia (A&AA).
The All about Allergens online training available via a National Allergy Strategy website - www.foodallergytraining.org.au - provides access to training that is fast, easy and free. The comprehensive program provides need to know information relevant for those in the food service industry and is presented using videos and interactive activities.
The All about Allergens online course contains five units. Each unit include video information and interactive activities. The final unit includes a final quiz, which on successful completion, allows participants to print a certificate.
The course addresses the following information:
- Food allergen risks for allergic consumers
- The most common food allergens
- Safe food preparation for allergic customers
- Safe food storage for allergic customers
- Communicating about allergy causing foods with other staff
- Communicating about allergy causing foods with suppliers
- Communicating about allergy causing foods with customers
- What to do if a customer has an allergic reaction
- Useful websites for more information
At launch function from left to right: David Curley, Mikayla Caldon, Kirsten Grinter, Sandra Vale, Maria Said, Alex Herbert, A/P Richard Loh